Cameron’s After School Program, Teen Center, Kids Cafe and Summer Safe Haven Program offer kids & teens in the Lyell-Otis Neighborhood and beyond a safe place to learn, grow and have fun!
Cameron’s Summer Safe Haven Program is an academic focused summer learning program. The program’s goal is to combat summer learning loss in math and reading, as well as expose students to all that the Rochester community and surrounding regions have to offer through weekly field trips. It is a summer full of hands-on learning and activities!
The Teen Center is an extension of the After School Program and will serve teens grades 7-12th. This program strives to bridge the academic and social-emotional achievement gap that teens living in poverty face. It is a safe place for teens to go after school and in the summer. Participants receive academic support through guided homework assistance and tutoring as well as leadership and life skills programming in order to promote individual growth.
The pressures to engage in unhealthy lifestyles are immense in the Cameron neighborhood. There are many factors that create an environment for poor choices and negative behaviors that can have life-long consequences. Most of Cameron’s children (98%) live beneath poverty level standards and are considered at risk. These pressures can have long term effects on future success including self-sufficiency. We believe that empowering youth with resources is the most effective means of breaking the cycle of poverty.
At Cameron we recognized the need for a group to teach the 4th- 6th grade youth life skills, about respecting themselves and others and being responsible for themselves and others. We created a small group called The R&R Group.
The program is working. It is truly changing the lives of our youth. Since its inception in 2013, R&R has evolved into an incredible group with many successes to report. This year we couldn’t be more proud of two of our young ladies, who after a tour with R&R Group, are attending Mercy High School and are on Honor Roll. We also are excited to share that we have a young man who was accepted into McQuaid for this coming school year. We believe that R&R is arming the youth with the tools needed to be confident, successful, independent adults.
R&R stands for Respect and Responsibility. Our motto is “Be strong, be confident, be fearless, and stick to your goals.”
Some R&R Activities
- Field trips to local high schools and colleges
- Field trips to businesses
- Regular meetings once per week
- Dinner party with attire & etiquette skills
- Personal health and hygiene skills
- Inspirational/motivational speakers
- Junior Achievement courses on financial literacy
- Career Exploration
- Pairings with mentors in the community related to career choices
Some R&R Outcomes
- Increased Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence
- Enhanced knowledge of career opportunities and what it takes to acquire a position
- Increased amount of responsibility and leadership
- Expanded trust and communication
- Between peers and staff
- Expanded knowledge of financial literacy
- Increased social skills resulting in enhanced comfort in social settings
- Increased motivation and goal setting
Volunteer opportunities are available in the After School Program and Teen Center to tutor and provide homework assistance.